Division of Public Administration
Welcome to the Division of Public Administration
The Division of Public Administration was founded with the mission to advance excellence in public service management and our degree programs have a dramatic effect on the lives of our graduates. The MPA will serve you as a practical management guide as well as a passport to a better career.
Top Ranking, Long Legacy
Graduate school rankings from U.S. News & World Report indicate NIU is one of the best universities in the country for city management and public finance with a focus on developing core competencies in budgeting and financial management, personnel management, decision making, communications, leadership, and teamwork.
- The Emerging Local Government Leaders (ELGL) group is a growing network of local government professionals who meet regularly to discuss topics of interest; share knowledge and information; and support one another in their career aspirations in public service. The NIU MPA program was featured in their latest blog..Read more
- Dr. Kurt Thurmaier, Dr. Kim Nelson and Dr. Yu-Che Chen recently presented at an urban forum at the School of Public Administration and Policy, Renmin University in Beijing China.
- New ranking for MPA among the U.S. graduate school: NIU’s Master of Public Administration (MPA) program once again received top marks in the latest U.S. News and World Report rankings of graduate schools....Read more
- From classroom to community: NIU students enrolled in PSPA 401 Philanthropy and Volunteerism have applied classroom lessons to making a financial impact on the bottom line of TAILS Humane Society, a nonprofit animal shelter serving DeKalb County...Read more
- See where an MPA degree from NIU can lead